The top of the chest had some rings on it and scratches so I sanded a bit with a medium grit to smooth things out. Some of the drawer pulls were off so I had to put them back on and tighten others. No big deal. The only problem with this piece whatsoever is just it's weight! It is so heavy that I had trouble moving it around. I put two coats of green paint on it. Painted over the hinges as well. Here's what it looked like along the way.
After both coats were dry, I used 3X sand paper to distress the drawers, top and sides of chest. I did this with what I call a random distress technique. It puts distressed areas on the piece, not just around the edges. You have to use an artful eye and place the sanded areas so they don't end up in a pattern.
A photo of the top of the dresser so you can see how the distressing is placed.
I finished the chest with a coat of polycrylic. Beautiful. Take another look at the before and after.
Total project time with the sun's help just under 2 hours. I purchased this throw away at Goodwill. Solid pine chest with dovetail construction and in great shape with all the drawers working. Look at it now. It is in my booth for $195.00 Happy Thrifting! XOXO the thrift addict.