Sunday, April 24, 2011

A bit of Easter Joy...

Every Easter we sort of shake things up at our house. We never know what the weather is going to be like so those sunrise services don't always work out for us. Last night we had dinner and played our two favorite family games...Mad Gab and Guesstures. We had the fire going believe it or not in late April and all three dogs were also involved. Great fun. The day was spent thrifting for my Easter table. I know...not as prepared as I should have been but the baskets were already done and the food bought so I did have time. It was great because everyone was having their 50% off sale. Here is what I ended up with. I was going for a vintage Easter look. I'll tell you how much I spent at the end.
It all started when I found this beautiful vintage lace hand embroidered round doily. I love the pink, blues and purple color along with the spring green leaves. It reminded me of my Grandmother. I used to sit and embroider with her for what seemed like hours on pillowcases and handkerchiefs when I was a little girl. I know it wasn't hours because I am all too familiar with my attention span but for that time, I was in heaven. I loved every minute of it.
Here is a place setting. I found the wonderful rosey pink placemats for $4.99 for 6 of them. With Hillary and Chris not being able to join us this year, there are only 6 of us, so it worked. The vintage white plates I found for 50 cents each and there were exactly 6. I will continue looking on my treasure hunts to add to that collection. I love them.  They are not stark white but a little creamier. I mixed them with the salad plates and mugs that I already had. I also already owned the chargers. They are from Pier1 and I have had them for about 8 years. The glasses were a find from A & J's. $12.00 for a set of 4. Since I didn't have enough, I only used three of them and then added 3 other green vintage looking glasses I already had.

I already had the green napkins and they matched perfectly with the green in the doily. I found 6 blue napkins for $3.99 and already had the cute clear beaded napkin rings. Here is a look at those cool blue and green glasses too.


Here is a look at the centerpiece. I stacked a wreath with a beautiful robin's nest on top, added my favorite little bird salt and pepper shakers, a bronze bunny and a couple of vintage looking candles. Voile!!! Centerpiece. Remember that when you are creating a vintage look, to use things that are already available in your home. I snagged these items from lots of different places in my house and will return them as soon as we clean up after dinner!

Another look at the centerpiece so you can see the robin's nest. I love birds and this is definitely birds and bunnies time.

The finished table. I want to add in that this is a hand carved and distressed Italian hardwood table that I purchased from craigslist for $395. The original owner had the receipt that reflected her original purchase amount. It was $4785.00!!!! It was sort of a distress sale and she was so happy for it to go to a great home. I found the chairs at one of my favorite shopping destinations, Simply Beautiful on Link lane in Fort Collins. Edie, the owner, is so sweet and she has amazing taste in what she offers. Her furniture is all gently used and on consignment. I told her what I was looking for, sent her a photo of the table and she called me within a couple of weeks and offered me the chairs. They were originally from Homestead House and the carving on the backs of the chairs is just beautiful. I purchased them for $125 each. We are not sure of the original price, but have seen comparable chairs for about $600-$700 each.

Here is a close up of the carving on the chairs. They all look brand new. I can't believe how well they match my table.

Our Easter Table for 6. On the menu...London Broil with asparagus, twice baked potatoes, salad, deviled eggs and croissants. Lots of desserts and starters as well. Salmon with borsein cheese and crackers, fresh boiled shrimp, veggies, and fruit tray served with chocolate eclaires.
I spent less than $30 for all of the new items for the table for the centerpiece, dishes, glasses, placemats and napkins. I did have many of my items used already, but sometimes that is the key to thrift. Adding on to elements you already own.   Happy Easter and Happy Thrifting! XOXO the thrift addict.

No comments: