Thursday, April 14, 2011

Hand crafted note cards!

Here is a little project that I have used as a secret weapon for being prepared for years. I keep these little blank note cards around and purchase them in packs of 50 for $3.99 on sale at Hobby Lobby. Then when I have a rainy weekend, I work on them in tens and package them up for gifts. They are great for hostess gifts, teacher gifts, pick me up gifts for a friend, and I have also given them to brides and as get well presents. Just so much fun. Since you use scrapbooking materials and stamps, each one is open for your imagination! I have recently begun making these and packaging them to sell @ http://www.projectyourlove.com/ with all of the proceeds going to relief in Japan. Each packet of notes takes about 30 minutes from start to finish so it is a little time consuming, but for those who are suffering the after effects of the Tsunami, it is time well spent. I am even having a "Love Notes for Japan" party next week and recruiting my friends to help me in this endeavor. I am anxious to see where their creativity takes them. Here is what you do...remember...this is only my version of these notes. The sky is the limit!
First I stamped the front of the plain vanilla colored card with a large "phrase" stamp. It is one of those that you can't really tell what it says but it looks like good wisdom.

Then I stamped the back of the card with this little "reduce recycle reuse" stamp. Makes it look official.

I then cut various scraps of paper in coordinating color scheme and glued them on the front. Here is what it looks like.

I stamped the square with a viney stamp.
Next step was easy. I had some salvaged purple tissue paper from a gift bag and I turned it into a little flower. Just cut a circle about the size of a silver dollar...if you remember what size that is...LOL and then twist the bottom until the "petals" open at one end. I used hot glue to attach it to the paper.


Then I used a little copper stamp to "antique" the edges and front of the paper. I also used this on the envelope which I will give instructions for below.
You can't mess this up. It is a messy technique and you just take the stamp and rub it around edges to give it a nice finished look.

Used the word stamp again and then the viney flower stamp. Used the copper to antique the envelope and then you have a cute matching set.

I also stamped a green vine on the bottom corner of the envelope because I wanted more layers. Here is the set together. So cute and personlized. Now for packaging.
I used a sandwich bag and punched two holes in the top just under the closing seal. I ran a ribbon through the holes and tied it. I usually also have a smaller stamped card with a hole punched in it to attach for the note. Below is a set of personlized cards I did for myself. You can see how easy these are. They are inexpensive, handy and priceless to have around for that situation that comes up unexpectedly. I am sure these are very basic to those of you who stamp and scrapbook. I just wanted to show you that they can be simple. I have used glitter, stickers, photos and lots of other cool items to craft these fun cards. This is a basic breakdown for beginners.

Anyone can do this! These cards are a thrifty decision! Such great little gifts. When you can create 5 sets of cards for $3.99 and some scraps and stamps, you are defnitely being thrifty! I had stamps and scrapbook paper around, but if you have to invest, start small and find your supplies on sale. Michaels and Hobby Lobby are where I shop. They seem to alternate weeks of having scrapbooking supplies on sale.
XOXO...the thrift addict.

No comments: